On December 8th, 2022 Don Patterson was selected as the recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee Medal Award.
The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Medal (Provincial) commemorates the 70th anniversary of the Accession of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second to the Throne as Queen of Canada. Several Canadian Provinces, including Alberta, created a commemorative medal, scope and intent to align with this anniversary. The Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee Medal has been awarded to 7,000 Albertans throughout 2022 in recognition of their significant contributions to the province.
Nominations were submitted by a broad range of partners including Members of the Legislative Assembly, Indigenous organizations, the Canadian Armed Forces, and various Protective Services.
Don Patterson has made significant contributions to Canadian communities and vulnerable groups, with a focus on Aboriginal Youth and Youth Wellness and intervention programs.
Don’s Volunteer Activities
- Chaired the Mississauga YMCA Volunteer Committee for 5 years and developed the first ever youth triathlon program. The comment by one of the staff is that it changed the lives of many youth in the program.
- In 2012, completed a solo bike ride across Canada in support of local YMCAs and raising awareness of the importance of creating opportunities for ALL kids to be healthy & active. In recognition of the efforts, received the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee medal.
- Has worked closely with a number of First Nations communities in supporting & developing youth programs, attended & presented at Indigenous games celebrations and health conferences
- Obtained grants from Canadian Tire JumpStart for over 40 sets of skis and bikes for the youth at Enoch Cree Nation. Developed an outdoor bike park at Enoch and got the entire community behind the project.
- Played a key role in advising the Nation on developing their lands in a prudent fashion that retained ownership and created long term wealth. This included securing a lease with Kinder Morgan for a pipeline laydown yard.
- For these efforts, was honoured by the Enoch Chief & Council at their annual Pow Wow in 2018
- Currently working with Enoch on a winter cross country ski program and building a covered BMX track that can be used year round
- On the Devon cross country ski board and also acting as a volunteer coach for youth and adults
- Has served on the Edmonton-South West UCP CA Board for 3 years with the last 2 years as President. Created a high functioning Board that is based on collaboration so we can support our MLA in building a prosperous economy. The consistent message is this in turn provides the resources for health care, education and helping the most vulnerable.
Impacts through Exceptional Leadership
- Don has taught and developed real estate courses with the goal of increasing the level of professionalism in the industry. Always available to assist new Realtors no matter what brokerage they work for.
- Received the 2021 Broker of the Year for the Real Estate Association of Edmonton. This was a recognition of leadership in the industry and volunteering.
- As the Broker/Managing Partner of RE/MAX Excellence, has created a culture of helping others. This includes the annual Pumpkin Giveaway that supports the Edmonton Foodbank, regular donations to the Children’s Miracle Network, support for Ukraine and working with our sister company on the EVER Excellence Foundation that was launched on September 19, 2022 and raised over $200,000 that day.
- For the efforts in supporting the people of Ukraine, received letters of appreciation. One is from MP Ziad Aboultaif, Deputy Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs and the other is from the Association of Canadian Free Trade Agreement.